Date:      Wed, 1 Nov 1995 15:44:03 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@rocky.sri.MT.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard), hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: More nits

[
Moving the installation of the boot manager to a different spot on the
install menu
]

Terry, notice *what* the subject is.  It's not about changing how things
are done, but *when* things are done. :)

> > > I think the whole logical volume device mapping is going to change
> > > under devfs.  I think it *doesn't* belong in the partitioning tool.
> >
> > Excuse me?!  What does adding a boot manager have to do with logical
> > volume device mapping?
>
> It has to do with what the hell belongs in a partitioning tool, and
> writing a boot manager is one of the things that damn well doesn't.

That's where your *wrong*.   There is no other place to put it.  It is
something that is *directly* related to the partition, because the MBR
tells the *PC-HW* what partition to boot from.

[ Irrelevant ranting about fdisk and devfs deleted ]

Since *NONE* of this stuff is relevant until *after* FreeBSD is booted,
how is at all related to the partition menu?  The MBR stuff is necessary
for the PC hardware, and once FreeBSD is running it's no longer an
issue.

> > Terry's off in space again!! :-)
>
> Hardly.  It's Jordan who wants to jam a PC specific, single logical
> layer specific *wart* into the nice, clean, system independent fdisk
> interface that would otherwise work for AIX, SunOS, OSF/1, and other
> OS's so we can *FINALLY* abstract the idiotic, limited, BIOS geometry
> dependent DOS partition crap.

Huh?  Moving where he installs the MBR to a different spot on the menu
is hardly adding a *wart* to the slice API.

Sit back and breathe a bit and think about what's being said, and forget
a little bit about what you want down.  They are unrelated, so long
posts about what you want that have *nothing* to do with what is being
said only confuse.

Nate