Date:      Tue, 2 Apr 1996 11:39:33 PST
From:      Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
To:        Brian Tao <taob@io.org>
Cc:        Philippe Regnauld <regnauld@tetard.frmug.fr.net>, hackers <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Howto: Sun 3's as X Terminal

In message <Pine.NEB.3.92.960330185544.11704D-100000@zap.io.org>you write:
>> NOTE: Since Sun 3's use old 4.2BSD networking code, they have the bad habit
>> of broadcasting on .0, not .255

>    We've got 3/50's, 3/60's and 3/280's here running the Xkernel and
>our boot server is using .255 as the broadcast address without any
>apparent trouble.

I bet your boot server is running code earlier than

src/sys/netinet/ip_input.c

1.33 Thu Dec 21 21:12:22 1995 by wollman
Diffs to 1.32

Delete old-style-broadcast-address compatibility cruft in IP input path.
If users want to use the old-style broadcast addresses, they will have to
currectly configure their systems.

I wonder if this should be made an option for those who want to run boot
servers for old suns.

  Bill