Date:      Tue, 9 Oct 2001 14:26:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      NGH <bsd_appliance@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SSSCA?

--- Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org> wrote:
> Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com> types:
> > I pos facto.
> >
> > (Translation: you can't make something illegal after the fact).
>
> But you can always make doing it again illegal.

That's *exactly* what concerns me. If this horror of a law passes,
and I wouldn't be surprised if it did, as entertainment companies
have deep pockets and can push these things through, then one of
three things would happen:

1. Free or Open software would be illegal in the U.S., or
2. Licensing, NDAs, etc. effectively make said software impossible
   to distribute, or
3. Both of the above.

What further concerns me is that SSSCA is very broad and general.
If I read it correctly, it affects all digital devices, meaning
nearly all electronics in the country, whether or not they're
related to entertainment. This means Disney's policeware needs to
be present in, say, control systems for industrial machines. We
are essentially looking at a huge "tax" (in license fees) on
anything digital.

This means that hobbyists and guys who work out of garages won't
be able to (legally) make electronic components. This kind of
legislation would stuff entertainment companies' pockets at the
enormous loss of legitimate individuals and businesses. Of course,
one thing always leads to another. SSSCA is the next step after
DMCA. You have to stop for a moment and ask yourself, what comes
after this?

I don't know about you, but I think this is an outrage.
-Nathan