Date:      Fri, 16 Feb 2001 13:28:36 -0700
From:      Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ab.ca>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: List of things to move from main tree to ports (was Re: Wish List (was: Re: The /usr/bin/games bikeshed again))

    Terry> In theory, PAM is supposed to permit programs to deal with
    Terry> this; many people don't use other than the authentication
    Terry> portion of PAM, but it seems that the API is there.

But to make K5 useful for applications we also need an integrated SASL
library. Such a library would let us support GSSAPI for sendmail (and
more importantly, submit) and ftpd out-of-the-box. And from a security
standpoint I'd rather have things in ports link against our own SASL
than have the ports import their own code (which inevitably use their
own private credentials database instead of the OS facilities).

--lyndon