Date:      Fri, 31 Jul 2015 15:38:39 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz_lst@tdx.co.uk>
To:        =?UTF-8?Q?Roger_Pau_Monn=C3=A9?= <roger.pau@citrix.com>, xen@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Boot FreeBSD 10 in HVM mode under Xen?

--On 31 July 2015 16:17 +0200 Roger Pau Monn=C3=A9 <roger.pau@citrix.com> =
wrote:

> This is a bug then. You should be able to boot without XENHVM/xenpci,
> and get a pure HVM guest with no PV devices at all.

I'm just setting up another less critical system to reproduce it. To=20
confirm, I just take GENERIC and remove 'XENHVM' and 'xenpci', and it=20
should boot without PV.

I'll post the results / panic & exact versions when I get it (though some=20
goes off the top of the console =3D could be interesting).

> Since this seems to be getting quite popular (booting without PV
> devices), I think adding a sysctl to disable PV nics and PV hard drives
> would be interesting. We could still use some of the PV goodies, like
> the timer.

Can you technically have a system that has HVM network (i.e. realtek) but=20
still has disk PV, and/or is agile? (i.e. can run xen-tools)?

That'd kind of be a 'perfect' workaround for all our network woes (openvpn, =

routing etc.) at the moment - even if the performance of HVM re0 isn't as=20
good as a PV xn0

Cheers,

-Karl