Date:      Mon, 9 Jul 2001 16:32:39 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ifconfig wireless card options and DHCP

--fUYQa+Pmc3FrFX/N

On Sat, Jul 07, 2001 at 03:11:39PM -0400, Peter Radcliffe wrote:
> Seems like this would be easy currently for non-DHCP configured
> interfaces, but as soon as you specify DHCP in $ifconfig_${interface}
> you lose the ability to pass further arguments. In my opinion setting
> up some media options before DHCP is called could be generally useful
> with cards that need something to be forced before they will pass
> packets at all (such as 802.11b with WEP enabled).
>=20
> Looking at /etc/pccard_ether is looks like this patch would allow
> you to do things like:
>=20
>   ifconfig_an0=3D"DHCP wepmode on wepkey ThisIsAKey"
>=20
> I also added in a check for pccard_ether.local, since there are things
> I do at every interface up/down and I'd rather not keep maintaining
> changes between my pccard_ether script and the standard ones.
>=20
> What do people think ?

On this patch in particular, patches that create differences between
the startup sequence via rc.network and /etc/pccard_ether should be
avoided.  On the approach, I've been thinking about creating a method
for adding external commands to ifconfig so you could add DHCP support
via a script.  I'm still thinking about how this would be done, but I
think it's a better approach then continuing the hacks in /etc/rc.network
and /etc/pccard_ether.  Thoughts?

-- Brooks

--=20

--fUYQa+Pmc3FrFX/N