Date:      Wed, 23 May 2001 15:49:51 +0100
From:      Rasputin <rara.rasputin@virgin.net>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: random make crashes

* Steven Farmer <steve@megahack.com> [010523 15:22]:

>     Rasputin> Is this ropey RAM , or something else?  (World built may
>     Rasputin> 1st)
>
> I have this problem with make when "-march=pentiumpro" is added to
> CFLAGS.  You might try adding NO_CPU_CFLAGS=true to /etc/make.conf and
> rebuild make.  This fixed the problem for me, at which point I also
> added NO_CPU_COPTFLAGS=true to make.conf and rebuilt everything.

Nice thought, I tried it just after posting,
didn't change a thing.

I really do think it's make-related, rather than the compiler.
even 'make fetch' and 'make clean' dump core, and they
don't touch the compiler.

I'm going to try running the compiler by hand, see if it still falls over.

Reinstallnig make and ldconfig haven't fixed it, maybe rebuilding libc will?
(I'll unset CPUTYPE first I think just to be safe)

--
If the code and the comments disagree, then both are probably wrong.
		-- Norm Schryer