Date:      Wed, 16 Dec 1998 01:39:17 GMT
From:      Michael Robinson <robinson@netrinsics.com>
To:        fenner@parc.xerox.com
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MLEN < write length < MINCLSIZE "bug"

Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com> writes:
>>Is there any documentation on why MINCLSIZE is currently set to the value it
>>is?
>
>Not that I know of, but I can't say for sure that there's not something
>in the 4.4 daemon book.  You know what the main tradeoff is of reducing
>MINCLSIZE (and there are some subtle ones too - set your socket buffer
>to 64k and start writing in 120-byte chunks and see when the socket
>buffer fills up).

Well, I just discovered another interesting effect of the smaller MINCLSIZE.
After exhaustive testing with the standard X benchmarking utility (xmame),
I've discovered a significant performance improvement for graphics-
intensive X applications.

	-Michael Robinson

P.S. It may be a while before I get around to testing your "short" patch ;-).