Date:      Tue, 31 Oct 2006 20:53:36 -0800
From:      Sam Leffler <sam@errno.com>
To:        Nicolas Blais <nb_root@videotron.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Subject:   Re: Hifn 7955/7956 crypto accelerator questions

Nicolas Blais wrote:

> They do claim 500mbps throughput for the vpn1461 and 250mbps for the
> vpn1401. Then again, this remains to be proven :).

I believe the 1461 uses a 7955. I was able to get 500+ Mbps for
symmetric crypto ops w/ a 64-bit pci hifn reference card that had a 7956
part on it (cryptotest -z).  But you need largish block sizes.  As Mike
noted you won't see single-stream improvements so much as reduced load
on the cpu that allows multiple streams to be handled better.

	Sam