Date:      Fri, 14 Aug 1998 14:31:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ross Harvey <ross@teraflop.com>
To:        gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com, matti.aarnio@sonera.fi
Cc:        aic7xxx@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AHA2790UW has speed-limit problems ?

> From: "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com>
> [ Matti Aarnio <matti.aarnio@sonera.fi> ]
>
> >   Four Ultra-Wide (SingleEnded) disks on high quality cable inside
> > DEC PWS 433a workstation chassis attached to AHA2940UW host adapter.
>
> :::
> > The Kludge-Cure:
> >
> >   Lower the speed of the device in the adapter bios configuration
> > utility.  In fact lower them all, and no SCSI-timeout problems appear.
>
> This would indicate bus signal quatlity problems at high speeds.

I would agree that this sounds like a signal integrity problem. If you have
more than one or two drives you either go differential or you have a
statistically significant chance of suffering like this. Sure, you can
eventually get the singled-ended big system to work, somehow, but was it
worth it?  You would never have this problems in a differential chain. Your
fundamental problem is that you are trying to do something that single-ended
SCSI was not intended for. The spec recommends against this. (Actually, SCSI-2
recommended against using single-ended _at all_ in fast sync mode, but of
course this recommendation is almost universally ignored.) The surprising
thing isn't when it doesn't work, but when it does.

> > Question:
> >
> >   Is there ANYTHING that is possible to do to in this type of environment
> > so that I could (reliably) run faster disk-transfer speeds ?
>
> Shorten the cables.  Ensure that the distance between all connectors on
> the cable are equal.  Use a forced perfect terminator.

Shortening the cables might help, but what is the principle behind equalizing
the inter-tap distance?  I would have guessed that intentionally non-equal
intermediate segments would prevent the superposition of reflections from
the stubs that fork the transmission line at each drive.

I would worry more about (1) PVC cables; (2) segments less than 0.3m (stub
clustering lumps loads and aggregates the impedance mismatch); (3) cheap
terminators (FPT was a good recommendation); (4) unused segments or stubs,
i.e., don't run a cable to the back panel if you aren't using it.

I suspect that people think equalizing segment lengths helps because it forces
them to use the recommended minimum stub (load) spacing. But what makes this
win is the elimination of stub clusters, not the equalization of segment runs.

  --Ross Harvey