Date:      Thu, 23 Jul 1998 18:30:05 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        imp@village.org (Warner Losh)
Cc:        jb@cimlogic.com.au, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Does building current on 2.2.x still work?

> Another option, learned from the ports system, would be to have
> (presented here in simplified form):
>
> world:
> 	make real-world
> buildworld:
> 	make real-buildworld
> installworld:
> 	make real-installworld

You need to use parenthesis to force an actual reinvocation of make.

> And then rename the current *world targets to real-*world.

This was the substance of my "subshell" proposal, where the submake
would be the built make instead of the installed make to get a working
"-m" flag.

Alternately, we should consider a chroot build environment as part of
the build process, which obviates the need for all of these new relative
pathing option arguments to all the old tools.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.