Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 2000 13:57:28 +0000
From:      Anatoly Vorobey <mellon@pobox.com>
To:        Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>
Cc:        bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bin/18104: missing include file in sh(1)

On Thu, Apr 20, 2000 at 12:35:51PM +0200, Martin Cracauer wrote:

> The difference is that mine does not have -static.
>
> If you build from /usr/src to /usr/obj, you get -static, if you build
> outside, you don't :-(
>
> Suboptimal control mechanism, I'd say.  It is also questionable why
> the -static case tries to resolve symbols that are already defined in
> primary object files in the static libraries as well.

I'd say it's fair to presume the linker just treats static libraries
as big lumps of statis object files and heaps them together with primary
object files.

Anyway, the problem does exist. At least for people who want their
shells static, thank-you-very-much ;) Maybe we should just rename the
trace function and be done with it?

--
Anatoly Vorobey,
mellon@pobox.com http://pobox.com/~mellon/