Date:      Sat, 29 Apr 1995 12:41:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bao Chau Ha <bao@saigon.async.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        install@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   950412-SNAP Installation with ESDI (WD1007V) System

How do I install 950412-SNAP on a system with a WD1007V
ESDI controller and 2 drives: Maxtor XT4380E (320M) and
Maxtor XT4760E (630M)?

It is very annoying that the driver gets the true disk
geometries directly from the ESDI controller and use them
instead of the translated ones.  It also ignores the
spare sector mapping, so it does not help, even if I
reformat my drives.

Anyway, I did fdisk, added the translated geometry and
was able to complete the installation from the boot
and cpio floppies onto the first drive.  Upon reboot,
the kernel went up to the npx16 ... messages, then
printed out a message about wrong size on partition d
of wd1, which does not have a freebsd partition.  It
then panicked, and rebooted.

Appreciate any helps, comments or suggestions.

Thanks.
Bao

--
Bao Chau Ha (bao@saigon.async.com)
Nuclear chemical engineer by day, Linux hacker by night and weekends.