Date:      Fri, 1 Dec 2000 15:41:17 +0100 (CET)
From:      Harti Brandt <brandt@fokus.gmd.de>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Strange thing with serial console speed

Hi,

I have two machines running -current. One of them is configured for
serial console and connected to the second one. On the 2nd one I usually
build world and the kernels for the two machines. The I install world and
the kernels from /usr/obj of the 2nd machine (exported via nfs). In
principal this works just fine.... Except that I decided yesterday to
raise the serial console speed to 115200 by putting the appropriate line
into /etc/make.conf. I though, that this definition wouldn't matter for
the machine without serial console. So I was really surprised to see, that
that machine didn't boot anymore today. What happens is, that it prints
the BTX loader version line, the cursor jumps to the upper left corner of
the screen and there it stays until i press ctrl-alt-del or hit reset.
Rebuilding /usr/src/sys/boot without the speed definition in
/etc/make.conf fixes the problem.

So, how is the serial console speed tangled to the non-serial console
boot??? Is this a bug or a feature?

Regards,
harti
--