Date:      Fri, 7 Apr 1995 17:30:56 +0800 (CST)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw>
To:        FREEBSD-CURRENT-L <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   man(1) bug

    man in 950322-SNAP incorrectly handles a name argument that begins
with a digit:

% find /usr/local/man -name "[0-9]*" -print
/usr/local/man/man3/3DBorder.3.gz
% man 3DBorder
What manual page do you want from section 3DBorder?
% man -k 3dborder
What manual page do you want from section 3dborder?
% man 3 3DBorder
%

    This appears to be unique to FreeBSD's man, as no other OS I could
get my hands on had this bug (include BSD/OS 1.1 and 2.0).

    Related question:  where is the source?  I looked in the obvious
srcubin.* series, but could not find it there.  I then searched
through all the others (except gnu.*, which is missing one segment at
the local mirror) without success.
taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw <-- work ........ play --> taob@io.org