Date:      Fri, 13 Sep 1996 08:07:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        michaelh@cet.co.jp (Michael Hancock)
Cc:        mrcpu@cdsnet.net, jhs@freebsd.org, sysseh@devetir.qld.gov.au, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VM/kernel problems?

Michael Hancock wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Sep 1996, Jaye Mathisen wrote:
>

> > Hmmm, as of -current supped on the 11th and 12th, my box is working just
> > yippee skippee after a make world.
> >
> > Although I'm not using John's cache color mumbo-jumbo voodoo
> > evilness.
>
> It's really not voodoo, it's about better distribution of addresses in the
> cache.  You can do this by using some spare space to vary the offsets into
> actively used chunks of memory.

	page coloring improves the cache hit ratio.  it is "A Good Thing (TM)"
	see curt schimmel's _unix_systems_for_modern_architecture_
	pg 137 section 7.2.3 Physically Indexed Caches

	now only if we could dynamically determine the cache size and
	set the configuration of the coloring code to match >;)
jmb
--
Jonathan M. Bresler           FreeBSD Postmaster             jmb@FreeBSD.ORG
FreeBSD--4.4BSD Unix for PC clones, source included. http://www.freebsd.org/