Date:      Sun, 13 May 2001 01:52:26 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SSH Must Die

On Sat, May 12, 2001 at 04:31:29PM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:
> Erik Trulsson wrote:
> > Exactly how is rpping it out of FreeBSD supposed to make ssh work?
>
> I don't necessarily want it to work or not work, I just
> want it to quit being a pain in my backside.
>
> If it can't be made to upgrade correctly, then ripping it
> out also satisfies the criteria necessary to achieve the
> intended goal.
>
> > I think I had similar problems at some point between 4.2-R
> > and 4.3-R.  At some (fairly late IIRC) point inbetween the
> > version numbers of some of the crypto libraries was increased.
> > After a buildworld I had both libXXXX.so.1 and libXXXX.so.2
> > installed in /usr/lib.  I think deleting/moving one of them
> > (the .so.1 one IIRC) and then doing a new build/installworld
> > with 'COMPAT4X=yes' in /etc/make.conf made things work
> > correctly.  I am afraid I don't remember the details exactly
> > but it might be a starting point.
>
> Yes, I see multiple installed copies of the libraries
> on my system.  Since this is a cDROM from a "make release",
> I expected to see that for compatability reasons.
>
> Are you saying that if I install the new "compat4" stuff
> from the 4.3 CDROM, the problem will solve itself?  I am
> willing to try that, but won't be able to tell you what
> happened until Monday.

The "compat4" stuff should install libraries in /usr/lib/compat/
After you have installed those, make sure that libraries found in
/usr/lib/compat/ are not also installed in /usr/lib/
(E.g. if you have both /usr/lib/compat/libssl.so.1 and /usr/lib/libssl.so.1
then you should delete the latter.)
And then you should use ldconfig  or reboot to make sure that the right
libraries are found.

At least that fixed it for me but YMMV.

(Might work with just removing the duplicate libraries from /usr/lib, except
that if you have any binaries linked against the older versions they will
probably stop working.)

(No, I don't know why it wouldn't work with the older libraries residing
in /usr/lib/ .  It should have worked as I understand things. Well,
everything works fine for me now anyway.)

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson