Date:      Mon, 22 Oct 2001 19:06:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Kozubik <john@kozubik.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   How broken is IBSS creation (wicontrol) these days ?

Having worked with `wicontrol` for quite some time, I am well aware that
IBSS creation is currently experimental.  I am wondering just how
experimental it currently is.

I currently have a 4.4-RELEASE machine configured as follows:

`wicontrol -c 1 -p 1 -n netname -q netname -s station`

When I boot machine number 2 (Linux) it does not see the FreeBSD machine,
however, when I set the netname on the Linux machine to 'netname' (as
above) suddenly activity lights flare up and things seem like they are
going to work - the linux `iwconfig` command reports that the "access
point" it is using is the MAC address of the card in the FreeBSD machine.

This was very encouraging - the fact that the Linux machine sees the
FreeBSD MAC as the access point, that is.  However, this is as far as I
have gotten.  Neither machine shows anything but a zero for signal
strength, and `ifconfig` on the FreeBSD host tells me that the status of
wi0 is "no carrier".

So, does this sound like the normal results of this experimental
functionality, or are my last problems the result of a mistake on my part
?  (translation, is this where it breaks for everyone, or should I keep
trying to make this work)

If it is indeed a mistake on my part, help is appreciated.

-----
John Kozubik - john@kozubik.com - http://www.kozubik.com