Date:      Fri, 27 Jan 95 13:46:18 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        dufault@hda.com (Peter Dufault)
Cc:        john@pyromania.apana.org.au, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: SyQuest works with FreeBSD 2.0R !

> > You need to be careful if you have more than one drive that you only use
> > a single disk in a single drive for a system boot instance, since the
> > OS (incorrectly)  uses the device as part of the ident, and can get
> > confused if you switch drives.
>
> I don't follow this.  Is this a FreeBSD problem?

It depends.  2.0R was specifically referenced.  Current may not have
that problem.

[ ... ]

> Actually, I think he will have a problem - UNIT ATTENTION is
> generated when the removable drive is changed.  2.0R doesn't retry
> at all on this, and 2.0-current will retry
> but not for removable drives because of the chance of someone swapping a
> mounted drive.

This should never happen; the device should be locked during reference
so that you can't remove the media.  Most removable SCSI devices support
this, as long as they are not manual eject.

I think we are screwed on floppies unless we get media change notification.

> > Also dual Bernoulli's and dual Syquest use LUNs on a single target to
> > get two devices.  Some of the SCSI drivers are "uncomfortable" with LUNs.
> > I would suggest seperate drives at this time.
>
> Which drivers are uncomforable with LUNS?  They shouldn't be too hard to
> fix.  We need some pioneers...

I think that the sound-baster drivers fall into the "uncomfortable"
category.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---