Date:      Mon, 10 Jun 2002 09:41:15 +0200
From:      "Daan Vreeken [PA4DAN]" <Danovitsch@Danovitsch.dnsq.org>
To:        "Defryn, Guy" <G.P.Defryn@massey.ac.nz>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FTP server on freebsd

On Sunday 09 June 2002 23:06, you wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I have configured my freebsd machine with ftp access.
> However, I have a feeling that it is not very secure.
> When I set it up with the default settings I see the
> /etc/ folder and it has a passwd file in it.
If you create a file named '/etc/ftpchroot', and put the username of the ftp
user in it, ftpd will chroot when this user log's in.
This way the user will not be able to 'cd' out of it's home-dir.

If you have a bunch of different ftp-account's which you want to do this for,
just put all the users in one group (eg: ftpusers), and add '@ftpusers' to
/etc/ftpchroot

> Are there any documents available on securing FTP?
> I can't seem to find it on the freebsd website.
man ftpd :)

> Cheers
grtz,
Daan