Date:      Thu, 27 Apr 2000 14:26:13 +0200
From:      Dave Boers <djb@ifa.au.dk>
To:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   hlt instructions and temperature issues

Not being a kernel programmer, I have the following question. If it is a
dumb question, please excuse me, but I still need an answer :-)

I have noticed that the difference in processor temperatures between idle
and full load on Abit BP6 dual celeron systems is much less for FreeBSD (2
degrees celcius) than it is for Linux (13 degrees Celcius). Also overall
system temperature seems to be much higher using FreeBSD than Linux. I have
two Abit BP6 boxes sitting here, one running FreeBSD, the other Linux. The
Linux box is 30 degrees celcius while the FreeBSD one is 50 degrees
Celcius.

So my question is, is FreeBSD issuing hlt instructions when the cpu's are
idle or not? Might this explain the difference between Linux and FreeBSD?

Regards,

    Dave Boers.

--
 djb@ifa.au.dk                              d.j.boers@tn.utwente.nl
 PGP key:  ftp://relativity.student.utwente.nl:/pub/pgpkeys/djb.asc