Date:      Mon, 14 Dec 1998 14:32:06 -0300
From:      "Maximiliano A. Eschoyez" <meschoyez@ubp.edu.ar>
To:        newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Progress in FreeBSD learning

Hi,

Probably some people could remember me. I unsubscribed from the list due
to problems of time, but I'll back in january.

Those days I'm making lot of things with my Un*x.
I have rebuilt the kernel three times. The first kernel allow me to use
my ProAudio Spectrum, and its really sounds good. The second one was a
reduced kernel, just the necessary drivers and options. And, the last
one (running near a week) have the SystemV compatibility - I wanna play
DOOM! :-)

About XWindows. it's running whitout problems. I love to change from
800x600 to 640x480 only pressing Ctrl+Alt+(+NumPad), and of course
Ctrl+Alt+F# to change to my virtual terminals (text, yes!!!).
The other day I've installad the FVWM2 desktop, but I still using TWM.

Wine runs good with short programs. Why shorts, my system is a 486DXII
with only 8MB RAM (It's four years old but still working like the first
day).

XFmail is configured and is waiting for the connection, but first I need
a Modem and the most important, the telephone line. Now in Argentina the
prices felt and it cost around $150.- (dollars). I don't have one
because I'm living alone just for studies. My family lives in Rosario
and I live in Cordoba (400 kilometers - 4 hours by car).

Nspmod eats around 30% of my resources but is better than the s3mod. Mod
Files are cool, but some trackers have an inspired mind and his music is
great.

Well, I have to study, but for University, it's exam time.

I'm changing my friends' mind and I'm seeing some interest. One of my
friends is waiting for vacation to install FreeBSD - another Newbie :-)
-, other installed Linux but he has problems configuring LILO.

At Work we use Netware by Novell and the terminals run Win95, if you
want to make money you have to do what the most users do. My boss rent a
space of HD on a server at Virtualis Systems to put some Web pages and
as an Relay host for mails. The first time I telneted the server I was
very surprised, it's running FreeBSD and Apache!!! After the tears (I
was really happy ;-) ) I felt at home.

Well, this is a short part of the last month in Un*x environments.
I'll keep in contact, but remember that I'm not subscribed yet.

See you soon
            Maximiliano Eschoyez
            meschoyez@ubp.edu.ar

FreeBSD - The Power to Serve