Date:      Sat, 10 Apr 1999 10:53:39 +0930 (CST)
From:      Gregory Lewis <glewis@dartagnan.maths.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        al7oj@customcpu.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ps2 mouse

> I just re-installed FreeBSD 3.0-R and have a problem that I didn't have
> before. When I try "startx", I get a fatal error about my mouse.
> I forgot to write it down, but it is like: "...device in use". I then have
> to kill the moused process (killall moused), and then X loads fine and the
> mouse works great. Like I said before, when 3.0-R was running before (I
> had to change HD's), I didn't have this problem. I also tried compiling
> the kernel (after new install), but that didn't help. The psm0 device is
> in the kernel! Any ideas?
> Mike

Sounds like you are using /dev/psm0 as your mouse device in your
XF86Config rather than /dev/sysmouse (which is what you need to use if you
are running moused for exactly this reason).  You may also have to check
the protocol if this is the case when you change it as /dev/sysmouse uses
the SysMouse protocol (or MouseMan if memory serves me).

--
Greg Lewis 				glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au
Computing Officer			+61 8 8303 3237