Date:      Tue, 22 Jul 2003 17:48:07 -0700
From:      andrew morton <drewish@katherinehouse.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   question about partitioning

Does FreeBSD still have to boot from a partition with-in the first 10GB? I'm in the process of migrating to a new hard drive and don't want to end up having to reinstall everything. I'm dual booting between Win2k and 5.1. I haven't been able to find any recent information all the searches I run seem to only turn up stuff from 1996.

Also, does anyone have any tips for how to move my FreeBSD partition? Unfortunately I can't attach both hard drives so I might end up doing a dump across the network. What I'm unsure of is how to reverse the process and restore the system.The handbook seems to gloss over that part...

andrew