Date:      Sat, 17 Mar 2001 11:40:36 +0100 (CET)
From:      Paul Herman <pherman@frenchfries.net>
To:        Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Multiple vendors FTP denial of service

On Fri, 16 Mar 2001, Gerhard Sittig wrote:

> > To bad a setusercontext() call couldn't be easily implimented
> > inside of set[e]uid() (it's in -lutil not -lc).  I see too many
> > FreeBSD admins that believe that their proftpds and qmails are
> > protected by the limits set in /etc/login.conf.
>
> Well, the latter is recommended to be wrapped up in a
> softlimit(1) invocation.  And the former - as well as any other
> program - could be treated the same.
>
> If login.conf isn't easily applied one is still free to make use
> of ports/sysutils/daemontools.

Yes, there are many solutions, most of which have already been posted.
Thing is, even if you created ports/sysutils/cluestick, many admins
would still intuitively believe that limits imposed by /etc/login.conf
apply to all processes.

The reality that only a select few daemons use /etc/login.conf is
admittedly counter-intuitive.  Perhaps this is more of a job for
TrustedBSD's MAC policies, but it Would Be Nice if resource limits
were set along with (e)uid.  What do others think?

Like I said, this could be done by wraping setusercontext() into
setuid(), but it starts to get yucky when mixing userland login_cap
functions with a system call.  I'd be willing to come up with a patch
for this, if it weren't so darn ugly.

Would there be a cleaner way to do this?

-Paul.