Date:      Tue, 28 Jul 1998 21:09:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "David H. Brierley" <dave@galaxia.com>
To:        Chris <chris@exit109.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installing over a network, problems

On Tue, 28 Jul 1998, Chris wrote:

> I'm trying to install FreeBSD 2.2.6 on a machine i just put together, it
> saw the 3com509b network card fine, i did the partitions and all that,

The last time I tried to do a network install with a 3C509 card I
got pretty much the same results.  I ended up moving a CD onto the
machine and using that to do the install.  When I finally got the
machine up I noticed that the network seemed awfully slow.  I did
some performance tests and determined that in one direction I was
getting about 250 KB per second but in the other direction I was
only getting about 7 KB per second!  (yes, I really mean seven with
no zeroes after it!) I pulled the 3C509 card out and replaced it
with a cheap NE2000 clone and performance in both directions jumped
to over 300KB.  I have since since similar performance on 3 other
FreeBSD machines with 3C509 cards.  The moral of the story: do not
use a 3C509 card on a FreeBSD machine.

P.S. to be fair, I also have 3 other FreeBSD boxes with 3C509 cards
in them that seem just fine.  However, a success rate of 50% is
not what I would consider something to brag about.

--
David H. Brierley
    dave@galaxia.com