Date:      Sun, 28 May 2000 18:27:43 -0400
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
To:        Akinori -Aki- MUSHA <knu@idaemons.org>
Cc:        andrews@technologist.com, shige@FreeBSD.org, FreeBSD Ports <ports@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/shells/zsh-devel Makefile ports/shells/zsh-devel/files md5 ports/shells/zsh-devel/patches patch-ad patch-ab ports/shells/zsh-devel/pkg PLIST

[ Moved to -ports ]

On Mon, May 29, 2000 at 02:42:20AM +0900, Akinori -Aki- MUSHA wrote:
> At Sun, 28 May 2000 09:41:41 -0400, E-Dragon wrote:

That's my IRC alter-nickname, not my email name.  ;-)

> > Cool!  I'll now update shells/zsh too, since it needs updating.  Any
> > idea when they will merge those compdefs into zsh 3.0.x, if ever?
>
> I'm not sure, but considering the differences between 3.0.x's syntax
> of compdefs and 3.1.x's I'd doubt if they [zsh workers] would backport
> them to 3.0.x.

I hadn't considered this; you're absolutely correct on this name.

> As we discussed a while ago, we could just rename zsh to zsh30 and
> zsh-devel to zsh31.  Since zsh workers are actively maintaining on
> both 3.0.x and 3.1.x braches, we might consider both of these as
> "stable" products. (Actually they are stable enough already, IMO)

That is fine.  I can understand leaving them both in until they finally
obsolete zsh 3.0.x.

> I think we can rename zsh-devel to zsh31 when 3.1.7 release is out,
> but not now.  It seems premature if we (ask PW to) do a repocopy now
> because zsh-devel is currently of a pre-release... (When it comes to
> 3.1.8-beta after it becomes zsh31, we can just import the beta as
> zsh31-devel. by the way)

Hmm... I think it should just stay in its current form.. we can simply
create a zsh31 package from the zsh-devel port.. I don't think it needs
to be moved to zsh31, regardless of the package created.

> Also, we will move NO_LATEST_LINK from zsh31 to zsh30 then,
> considering bash1/bash2 pair as a good example to follow.

Yes.. I realized that PKGNAME was the wrong solution, since it does not
work with the current philosophy.  Then I remembered PKGNAMESUFFIX.

shells/zsh:

PKGNAMESUFFIX=  30

shells/zsh-devel:

PKGNAMESUFFIX=  31

Since we will make packages for both, we won't need NO_LATEST_LINK,
right?  Although it would be nice if we had a link from zsh.tgz to
zsh31.tgz...

--
Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>