Date:      Sun, 11 Mar 2012 08:04:38 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jason Helfman <jgh@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        rc@FreeBSD.org, "Randal L. Schwartz" <merlyn@stonehenge.com>
Subject:   Re: need a shim between postgresql and pgpool startup

--------------enigFB93B0C379BB7BA49EDBB291

On 11/03/2012 07:02, Jason Helfman wrote:
> When are you going to run
> pgpool without a pgsql server? Why not have a dependeny on pgsq on pgpo=
oll,
> and require it in
> rc?

Um.. running pgpool on a different server than the actual postgresql
instance is a pretty common practice actually.  Given it can manage
things like fail-over or distributing clients between replicated database=
s.

> Am I off-base, or would there be instances where you would run pgpool
> outside of an environment
> running pgsql-server?

Ah, but was not the problem in this case.  The problem is pgpool
starting up right after pgsql in the rcorder sequence, and getting
confused because postgresql still hadn't finished initializing itself
and wasn't ready to answer queries yet, even though its rc-script had
returned.

However your question is valid -- I can't see that there's any means of
ensuring that pgpool would start after a local postgresql instance built
into the pgpool rc script.  'REQUIRE postgresql' seems a bit strong,
given there's no need to have postgresql installed on the same machine.
Should there be one however, then the ordering is desirable.  Hmmm...
maybe a DATABASES script to provide a sequencing point, similarly to
LOGIN or NETWORKING ?

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20