Date:      Fri, 27 Oct 1995 11:16:27 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@rocky.sri.MT.net>
To:        gcrutcher@datatrek.com (Gary Crutcher)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PPP Connection

> Does anyone know how to detect if you got disconnected while in a PPP
> session and then be able to automatically reconnect?
>
> I have started PPP from a terminal session, then issued the dial
> command, and gotten connected to my service provider.  I need to know
> how to detect if I get disconnected, ams then, somwhow get reconnected
> without being in from of my computer (i.e., automatically detect
> diconnection and then automatically reconnect).

Look for some code I *just* posted to the hackers mailing list this
morning which does this very thing.  It should be easy to find in the
mail archives.

I just found a problem with the scheme I'm using that exists in the
original code such that IF the connection can't be re-established, PPP
will fill up the logfile with lots (100+/sec) LCP messages, and after a
period of time completely give up and exist.  This same problem can
occur with 'auto' mode as well, so I'll try to come up with a generic
fix.

Nate