Date:      Sat, 18 Dec 1999 09:00:44 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Morten Seeberg <morten@seeberg.dk>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mirroring boot-disk??

On Friday, 17 December 1999 at 15:55:33 +0100, Morten Seeberg wrote:
> Hi, Im supposed to be in charge of a large FreeBSD installation this
> weekend, and our plan was to mirror the bootdisk on all our servers, but the
> guy whom I put in charge of finding how to do it, didn´t really do his
> homework, so now Im asking:
>
> I´ve just searched through 8 months of questions@freebsd.org letters, and
> i´m not sure about the capabilities of VINUM and CCD. Actually I´m a bit
> confused to say the least :)
>
> Is it at all possible to mirror the bootdisk, so that if a disk fails during
> production time, nothing happens?

No.

> Can I boot on the secondary disk afterwards, if the primary fails?
>
> If I can, could you give me a hint to what Im supposed to be looking
> at?  CCD, VINUM, other, and if you have tried it, some pointers to
> save me some time.

I'm surprised you haven't read
http://www.lemis.com/vinum/wishlist.html:

There are a number of features that I have been asked for in
Vinum. This page summarizes them and their status.

     Vinum root file system

     It's currently not possible to mount the root file system on a
     Vinum volume. This is a chicken and egg problem: You can't start
     Vinum until the kernel is running, and the kernel needs to be
     mounted somewhere.  There are at least four different possible
     ways to implement this:

       1.  Teach the bootstrap code about Vinum so that it could start
           Vinum and load directly from a Vinum volume. This is
           unlikely to be viable, since Vinum needs to know too much
           about the kernel environment.

       2.  Create a separate boot file system and put the kernel in
           there, then start Vinum and the root file system.  This is
           the System V way, but I don't like it too much.

       3.  Create an MFS root file system. This effectively lives in
           swap, but there's no problem there. We'd need an easier way
           to build MFS kernels.

       4.  Boot normally, start Vinum and then mount the root file
           system on top of the old root file system. This might work,
           up to a point: you can mount a file system on any mount
           point, even if files are open in the hierarchy below the
           mount point. Unfortunately, there are a number of problems
           with this approach. In particular, you can't close all
           files on the old root partition, which means that you're
           not completely resilient. In addition, if you boot from the
           Vinum partition as a normal disk partition (which is
           possible and seems to make sense), you'll have consistency
           problems if you change a file on one partition and not the
           other, since the system sees the two partitions as
           separate.

         One possibility here would be for the mount operation to go
         through the vnodes for each open file and change them to
         point to the Vinum volume. It's likely that this will be a
         difficult operation to perform.

     asked-for feature, and I'm very open to suggestions about how to
     implement it.

> If it is not possible, then how would you do it? Some of you without
> RAID controllers must have some way of keeping your bootdisk/system
> safe?  Pointers please? (Do you just backup your bootdisk every 15
> minutes or the like?)

In fact, there isn't too much on the root file system which is needed
for continued operation.  You can move most of that to a different
file system, leaving you just with the kernel on the root file
system.  But there's no really tidy way to do it.

Greg