Date:      Thu, 09 Feb 1995 15:54:26 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@trout.sri.mt.net>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>, hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Please? Whine.. Sup project..

> > no true checksumming of files.
>
> What do you mean by 'not batching transfers'?

Look at sup's line usage sometime - you'll see a frenzy of activity,
then a long lull while the local sup looks over what it's got.  It
also doesn't seem to transfer the data very quickly when it does, but
that's another problem.  It and the supfilesrv should be running
threaded so that sup queues work to be done over the line at all
times; if it's thinking about what should be xfered next, it should do
it while still copying over the last files from the previous batch and
the supfilesrv on the other end should be able to accept more work
while it's still sending files.

To make it plainer: I want that 14.4K line saturated constantly.  When
I run sup over my serial line, I want to have it OVER as soon as
possible.  Eyeballing the modem lights while sup is doing it's thing
clearly shows me that this is NOT currently the case.  It's slacking off.

> > 	2) It has to make optimum use of available bandwidth (fast)
>
> With my compression patches, it does a pretty good job.

Sorry, not even close.  Don't just take my word for it, profile it.

> > 	4) It has to be easy to set up.
>
> This could be improved, but right now things are fairly trivial to
> setup.  Agreed, the client side might be easier to setup, but that should be

Not trivial enough that people interested in running mirror sup sites
haven't all sent me mail saying ``how the fuck are we supposed to use
this damn thing??''.  Reader feedback indicates that it's not fairly
trivial to set up.  But since you seem to think so, I think I'll point
the latest querant at you! :-)

						Jordan