Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 1996 13:14:01 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        David Muir Sharnoff <muir@idiom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: An ISP's Wishlist...

> Here's my wishlist.
>
> 	** Things that were so import that I've cobbled together
> 	   solutions to the following.  If someone wants what I've
> 	   done, contact me.
>
> Idle time for kernel PPP sessions or at least an idle timeout.

I'm interested in this.

> Automatic getty detection of incoming PPP connects.

You've sent this in already.

> Ability to add a route (not a default route) with pppd.

Isn't this already doable w/out hacks using /etc/ppp/ip-up and
/etc/ppp/ip-down?

> A better (doens't have to use /etc/passwd) POP server in ports.
> (There seems to be one in the mh distribution)

Huh?  What's wrong with using /etc/passwd?  Also, the POP server in
ports is the 'de-facto' standard that most folks end up using.

> 	** Things that are really important
>
> working & useful ipfw.  The filter sorting has been removed, so this
> fix is in the pipeline.

*grin*

> 	** Things that would ve very nice
> automatic reboot and report of diagnostics when the system
> hangs in disk wait.

I think the 'watchdog' board talked about at length would be a solution.

> During major disk activity on disks 1 & 2, (tar | tar), small
> accesses to disk 3 seem to pause for a long time.  Since the
> tar|tar is a news filesystem, most of the time spent is doing
> synchronous writes to disk 2.  Such writes should not cause
> delays to reading disk 3.  Environment: 2.1-STABLE, ncr53c810,
> disks are 7200rpm'ers from Seagate & Micropolis.

Do you have only one controller?  If your SCSI bus is saturated, there
is nothing FreeBSD can do to put more data on the wire.

> Reliable and secure NIS or an equivelent.

What's wrong with the NIS implementation already distributed?  (Having
secure and NIS in the same sentence is comical.  It's almost as bad as
having secure and NFS in the same sentence. :)

> 	** Things that would make my life easier, but don't have to
> 	do with the fact that I'm an ISP
>
> Pkg_manage enhancements to show what has been installed.

Umm, what's wrong with 'pkg_info -aI'?

> typically install about 90% of the packages and it's a real pain
> to remember what's been installed.   And don't mention that useless
> unsorted list on the right.

Huh?

> 	** Things that would be way-cool, but aren't required
..
> Appletalk support.  disks, printers, Apple Remote Access.

I think CAP is available as an 'aftermarket' add-on.  However, it would
be nice if it were user to add.

> Netware support.  Linux has it.

We have IPX/SPX support.  Are you talking about the proprietary netware
stuff in Caldera?

Nate