Date:      Tue, 11 Jun 1996 17:06:44 GMT
From:      James Raynard <fhackers@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Header files

Just a couple of things I've noticed recently, mainly concerning
header files:-

1. The return type of sethostid(): it's a long according to
   lib/libc/compat-43/sethostid.c, according to the man page
   it's an int and unistd.h says it's void!

   Which (if any!) of these is correct?

2. The stdio library requires fpos_t to be an 8-byte type. In stdio.h,
   it's typedef'd as an off_t if neither _ANSI_SOURCE or
   __STRICT_ANSI__ are defined, with a comment saying "When we switch
   to gcc 2.4 we will use __attribute__ here."

   Do we have any plans to switch to gcc 2.4? 8-)

3. <machine/limits.h> has a comment saying that 2147483648 is an
   unsigned int for 32-bit two's complement ANSI compilers. However,
   it's an unsigned long for 32-bit ANSI compilers, regardless of the
   binary encoding used.

--
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland
james@jraynard.demon.co.uk