Date:      Tue, 10 Apr 2001 15:33:23 -0400
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Releases

On 10 Apr 2001, at 8:34, Rodney W. Grimes wrote some very fine stuff:

> Ahhh... well... in my 8 years of being around FreeBSD when we enter
> the -BETA phase on the -STABLE branch the tree goes to hell in a
> hand basket for about 2 weeks.  So please don't make the handbook
> state the above.  Perhaps more like:
>
> Every few months in preperation for the next -RELEASE from the
> -STABLE branch the system will call itself -BETA, this is to reflect
> the fact that lots of changes are occuring in the tree, mainly merges
> of well tested code from the developers branch (-CURRENT).  The tag
> -BETA is used to denoate that these events are occuring and you may
> enconter minor problems.  This is not like a -BETA product from most
> software companies, as the code being brought in has general had a
> rather extensive test period, but the project has no way to test all
> code in all situations and breakage is bound to happen.

This would go a long way to both reducing -questions traffic and
increasing understanding.

> Though many have called this a bikeshed, and at times I have agreed
> that a lot of what is being said is a bikeshed (names are names, people who
> attatch permanent fixed meaning to names are going to have problems
> understanding lots of things, the -STABLE, -RELEASE, -BETA, -CURRENT tags
> being one of them.)  But I have seen 2 things come up in this last round of
> this 8 year old thread that could actually use some fixing:
>
> a)  Rename the standard-supfile, that one in itself has caused a lot
>     of grief and is a trivial change with minimal impact to the masses as
>     it really should only be used by -developers, who know how to deal with
>     all this.

Renaming is a fine idea.  What about one more step. Remove it
altogether.  The people that need it already know how to create it.  How
does that sound?

> b)  Correct everyone who says ``FreeBSD -BETA is really just as stable
>     as the normal -STABLE.  It is not!  During this phase of a branch
>     things get borked all over the place, from not being able to build the
>     tree due to partial MFC's or botched commits, to kernels that crash and
>     burn due to subtle bugs and corner cases that didn't get tested in
>     -CURRENT due to the smaller user base and narrower scope of hardware
>     being tested on.
>
>     One way to correct this would be to actually branch for -BETA, then
>     once the group of us -STABLE users who actually have a clue about how
>     to build and test this stuff have had a fair chance (2 weeks?) to pound
>     it a bit merge it back into -STABLE in one big sweep and call it -RC.
>     This is a short lived branch, but may have a rather high impact on
>     cvsup resources due to the tagging operations required to do this type
>     of operation cleanly.
>
>     The masses would never see -BETA, but it would be done by people
>     who actually know how to be beta testers :-)

Well, the branch makes a good deal of sense.  It stops beta from
getting out to the people who track -stable and allows changes to be
even more isolated.  This will also eliminate the inevitable posts to -
stable and -questions reagarding "how come I got BETA code?".

Do others think this is a good idea?

--
Dan Langille
pgpkey - finger dan@unixathome.org | http://unixathome.org/finger.php