Date:      Tue, 20 Apr 1999 11:14:50 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Paul Southworth <pauls@ieng.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Interfaces don't go down when network is physically down

>On FreeBSD 3.0-RELEASE, when you physically break an ethernet (eg, unplug
>the cable) the host still thinks the interface is up and can still
>ping it.  Is there any way to avoid that scenario - ie, when you break
>an interface, have it be really broken, down, unpingable?

   For many of the ethernet interfaces, there isn't any indication that the
link is down. On the other hand, for the 100Mbps interfaces, it is possible
in some cases to get an interrupt from the PHY of the link status change.
We don't currently do anything with that, however.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
Creator of high-performance Internet servers - http://www.terasolutions.com