Date:      Tue, 29 Apr 1997 11:02:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Brian N. Handy" <handy@sag.space.lockheed.com>
To:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   rc.bleah

I seem to have wedged my machine now with the new rc.[bleah] changes.
What's happening now is on startup syslogd dies with a line like:

	syslogd: bind: Can't assign requested address

A little fiddling around turned up that the network interface wasn't being
initialized.  I have two config lines in rc.conf;  basically stolen from
the old sysconfig:

network_devices="lo0 ed1"	# List o' network devices
ifconfig_lo0="inet 127.0.0.1"	# default loopback device configuration
ifconfig_ed1="inet 192.68.162.69 netmask 0xffffff00"

...but the device, she no get initialized.  So syslogd doesn't fire off.
And other things just don't seem to work either.

Any advice here?  I suspect I haven't carried something over from the old
system to the new system right, but damned if I can see the problem.

Thanks,

Brian