Date:      Sun, 6 Dec 1998 20:44:53 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        Julian Assange <proff@iq.org>
Cc:        "Jan B. Koum " <jkb@best.com>, Paul Griffith <paulg@interlog.com>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OpenBSD vs FreeBSD

On 5 Dec 1998, Julian Assange wrote:

> > 	Do you really expect people here, on this list to say
> > 	"Use OpenBSD" or "Use Linux" or etc?
>
> `Use NetBSD'

Use a toaster oven.  Toaster ovens have excellent network security
characteristics.  For example, they are not susceptible to any IMAP-based
buffer overflow attacks; additionally, current toaster ovens are not known
to have any bugs in their TCP/IP stacks, nor have been vulnerable to any
in the recent past (according to CERT advisories, anyway).  Toaster ovens
require console access to perform administrative functions (such as
modification of temperature settings), but this will not impede deployment
in a number of environment.

Toaster ovens may be vulnerable to a remote denial of service attack
involving manipulation of power lines -- however, most operating systems
running on standard hardware are also vulnerable to this attack.

I have found that my toaster oven has served me well for a number of
years, and produces excellent grilled cheese sandwiches, which is far
better than my pentium running FreeBSD, largely because the cooling fan on
the pentium does too good a job.  Go figure.  Maybe if I get a pentium
pro?  Neither my FreeBSD box nor my toaster oven has suffered from a
security problem in a while.

  Robert N Watson

PGP key fingerprint: 03 01 DD 8E 15 67 48 73  25 6D 10 FC EC 68 C1 1C

Carnegie Mellon University            http://www.cmu.edu/
TIS Labs at Network Associates, Inc.  http://www.tis.com/
SafePort Network Services             http://www.safeport.com/