Date:      Sun, 18 Oct 2020 14:57:23 +0200
From:      Bernard Spil <brnrd@freebsd.org>
To:        Tom R <freebsd.trhodes@gmail.com>, apache@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mod_http2 or ap24-mod_http2

On 2020-10-14 00:50, Tom R wrote:

> Hi Bernard,
>
> I want to add a section on using http2 in FreeBSD. I'm looking over
> the apache website, and took a very quick look at the code. From what
> I can tell, the mod_http2 does most if not all of the http2
> implementation, but the ap24-mod_http2 does all of the h2 and h2c TLS
> requirements.
>
> Which is better, because I am completely lost. Thank you so much for
> any reply!
>
> --
> Tom Rhodes
> (trhodes@FreeBSD.org)

Hi Tom,

The www/mod_http2 port is not required to enable HTTP/2 in Apache! (just
load the module, and add Protocol h2 to your SSL vhost config).

The www/apache24 port comes with the mod_h2 module enabled by default
(HTTP2=on: HTTP/2 (RFC 7540) support). You can disable it with make
config.
The www/mod_http2 port only exists to provide users with early access to
the next version that will be shipped with a next Apache 2.4 release.
Over the past years, various security fixes have been applied in the
mod_http2 port that appeared in the apache24 port quite a bit later.
Thus users may choose to use the latest release in stead of the bundled
module.
Please DO mention this in any guide as an aside, but make clear this
this is not necessary for regular use.

Cheers, Bernard.