Date:      Tue, 11 Dec 2001 12:32:08 +0100
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@mobil.cz>
To:        Petre Bandac <g38@rdsbv.ro>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bash newbie question

> From: Petre Bandac <g38@rdsbv.ro>
> Subject: Re: bash newbie question
> Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 11:55:04 +0200
> To: freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
>
> what I ment is if I can make bash look 100% like the linux bash
> it's already installed - however, what bother me is that the auto-completion
> of the command doesn't work like in linux - I mean if there I typed "tr" and
> TAB I got the commands starting with "tr" [tr          traceroute  trap
>  troff       true        tryaffix], while here I must type "trace" and TAB
> and only then I get the traceroute.
>
> must I understand that this is the only auto-completion of the command I
> shall get in freebsd ?

    no. it is fully configurable. your Linux distro probably ships with
    a bit tweaked dotfiles. You can try to copy the .profile (or
    whatever it's called -- I don't use bash) from your Linux machine to
    the FreeBSD one, and after sourcing it you should have exactly the
    same shell on both systems.

> also - I was used to have some colors on the screen after a <ls> :-)

    I believe you want to check man ls.

> so, resumig, the question I have for those of you more experienced in freebsd
> is: must I expect a 100% similarity in bash freebsd-linux or the port to bsd
> is quite "incomplete" ?

    you can expect 100% similarity... If you use the same configuration
    on both machines.

    HTH

--
FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE
12:26PM up 48 days, 23:09, 13 users, load averages: 0.08, 0.09, 0.03