Date:      Wed, 14 Jan 2009 16:21:31 +0100
From:      Sossi Andrej <asossi@dotcom.ts.it>
To:        Gary Palmer <gpalmer@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ISCSI and multipath

Gary Palmer wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 09, 2009 at 12:03:26PM +1100, Andrew Snow wrote:
>
>> Sossi Andrej wrote:
>>
>>> Another question about MD3000i.
>>> My MD3000i have 2 controller and every controller have 2 net interface.
>>> My FreeBSD server is connect on NAS server with 2 network cards throw
>>> out 2 switch on th 2 networks. (192.168.253.X and 192.168.252.X).
>>> In the official manual is written if the primary controller (or net)
>>> have a problem the NAS automatically switch disks drive on second
>>> controller. For this is required MPIO on Windows or MPP on Linux. It is
>>> supported also on FreeBSD?
>>>
>> If you only wanted to do failover at the network level with shared IP
>> address, you could use lagg.
>>
>> However, since you have different IP subnets for each network, you
>> probably want to look at using geom_fox.  You set up two iSCSI
>> connections, one to each controller, and geom_fox on top to make it
>> appear as a single disk device.
>>

> FreeBSD 7.0 and later also has geom_multipath, which I've been
> told (no experience) is a better approach.  I suggest you
> review documentation for both and make your own decision
>
> Regards,
>
> Gary

I read geom_fox an geom_mirror man pages. I think the geom_mirror is
best way, but not everything is clear for me.
This is scenario:

NAS server:
controller 0 interface 0: 192.168.253.254
controller 1 interface 0: 192.168.253.253
controller 0 interface 1: 192.168.252.254
controller 1 interface 1: 192.168.252.253

FreeBSD:
re0: 192.168.253.1
re1: 192.168.252.1

FreeBSD is connected through 2 switches, one for net 192.168.253.X and
one for 192.168.252.X. In the iscsi.conf file my target is 192.168.253.254.

ISCSI initiator creates only one device for disk. If I will use
geom_multipath, I must launch initiator 2 times (or 4 times), each for
one interface. Then I must configure geom_multipart device for /dev/da0
, /dev/da5, ... Is this correct? If yes, I plan some tests and then I
will write the results.

Thanks

--
Sossi Andrej

Via Biancospino, 9
34151 - Opicina (TS)
Italy

tel: +39 040 2158191
fax: +39 040 0641954
E-mail: asossi@dotcom.ts.it

Ai sensi del D.lgs n. 196 del 30.06.03 (Codice Privacy) si precisa che le informazioni contenute in questo messaggio sono riservate e ad uso esclusivo del destinatario. Qualora il messaggio in parola Le fosse pervenuto per errore, La preghiamo di eliminarlo senza copiarlo e di non inoltrarlo a terzi, dandocene gentilmente comunicazione. Grazie

This message, for the D.lgs n. 196 / 30.06.03 (Privacy Code), may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the addressee or authorized to receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose or take any action based on this message or any information herein. If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message. Thank you for your cooperation.