Date:      Wed, 8 May 1996 13:17:00 -0400
From:      dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
To:        davidg@Root.COM
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ISA Hole - Memory Problem

>>>   You don't. We don't have support for arbitrary holes in the address space.
>>>

>>If you set the adapter address in the kernel config to:
>>
>>iomem 0xF00000 iosiz 0x100000
>>

>>would this work?
>
>   No. Except for the standard ISA hole, FreeBSD doesn't know how to handle
>other arbitrary holes in the address space. It would be not be very difficult
>to special-case the 1MB region in the 15-16MB area, but this support isn't
>there currently.

If  you could point me at the right modules/routines I'd like to take a look
at it.
The 15-16Meg region is a fairly common option in many motherboard (I think
its generally called the "Compaq Hole") and it makes life a lot easier if
you have
a bunch of shared-memory cards in the same box....particularly if you want to
run X and can't use A0000.

Dennis

Emerging Technologies, Inc.      http://www.etinc.com

Synchronous Communications Cards and Routers For
Discriminating Tastes. 56k to T1 and beyond. Frame
Relay, PPP, HDLC, and X.25 for BSD/OS, FreeBSD
and LINUX