Date:      Sat, 12 Feb 2000 08:57:46 -0500
From:      Walter Brameld <brameld@twave.net>
To:        Gunnar Flygt <flygt@sr.se>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how many?

On Sat, 12 Feb 2000, you wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 12, 2000 at 06:35:57AM -0500, Walter Brameld wrote:
> > > >
> > Sorry Gunnar, I couldn't let this one be either. I don't where any of
> > you are located, but here in the U.S. I pay a flat monthly fee for a
> > local service phone line, and a flat fee to my ISP for unlimited
> > service. So it doesn't matter how long I'm on, it still costs the
> > same. I downloaded (Several times until I got it right, I'm new too)
> > and installed using both ftp and a DOS partition, mainly just to see
> > if I could do it. I didn't buy the cd's but I did buy the book (And a
> > shirt. You know, been there, done that, got the shirt 8-) And I
> > highly recommend the denim shirt, it's a beauty!).
>
> OK! Then I understand. In Europe (at least in Sweden) I pay montly fee
> and per minute.
> > --
I thought that might be the case. I work for the telephone company
here (Bellsouth) and was vaguely aware that in a lot of other
countries the usage was metered. Actually, metered billing is a
fairer way of billing the user, but the original goal of American
Telephone and Telegraph was to try and provide phone service to the
largest number of people possible. They did (do) this by subsidizing
residential service at the expense of businesses. Business phone
lines cost much more than residential lines.

--  Walter

in·tel·lec·tu·al
n. Someone who has been educated past his/her level of intelligence.
If you were wondering, the answer is 42.