Date:      Tue, 2 Apr 1996 12:49:17 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        koshy@india.hp.com (A JOSEPH KOSHY)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: HDD cpu usage (IDE vs. SCSI).

> ms> No, you're not understanding.  For a given CPU, IDE will _always_ use more
> ms> CPU time than SCSI.  Period.
>
> I'm afraid I don't understand too; I recently had the oppurtunity to examine
> a Future Domain TMC-1680 card.  From what I could see this was an ISA card
> with no bus-mastering capability.  After the card had read in data from the
> scsi bus, it would interrupt and the CPU had to use PIO to copy data from
> the card to the system buffers.
>
> Why would card yield better CPU utilization than an IDE solution?

Is this card supported?  I thought no one owned these...

On average, his statement is true: SCSI bus mastering is supported and
IDE bus mastering is not.

Non-bus-mastering SCSI is supported for people who already own crappy
cards, generally for SCSI CDROM interfaces on sound cards, or old
Adaptec cards sold with HP Scanjets, etc. (ie: mostly not boot devices
for lack of BIOS support).

> As I said earlier, there are lots of SCSI cards and disks on the market; the
> cheaper ones have made quite a number of compromises in order to lower cost.
> Thats the market reality.
>
> IMO, SCSI is not always better than IDE.

"Good SCSI" is better than "good IDE".

> The issue really is how much performance you are getting for your rupee.
> The last time I checked here, a 1-disk SCSI sub-system cost around twice as
> much as an equivalent IDE 1-disk sub-system.

Become an importer and charge 1.5 times instead of 2: the costs where
you will be importing from are the same.  8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.