Date:      Wed, 20 Jun 2001 16:56:34 +0200
From:      H}kan Hjort <d95hjort@dtek.chalmers.se>
To:        Michel LESPINASSE <walken@zoy.org>
Cc:        Guenter Bartsch <bartscgr@studbox.uni-stuttgart.de>, FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, xine-dev <xine-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject:   Re: [xine-devel] FreeBSD 4.3 pthread implementation and FPU code

Wed Jun 20 2001, Michel LESPINASSE wrote:
> Guenter,
>
> This code flips one bit in the eflags register, checking for the
> presense of the cpuid instruction. I'm not sure at all why this would
> have any side effects on any processor/OS combination - theorically
> there should be none... However H}kan had (if I remember right)
> already reported a problem with this cpu detection routine too.
>
> Can you try the updated code I put in mpeg2dec-cvs (basically I added
> one pushfl/popfl combo to avoid the bit change) and see if it helps ?
>
> Also H}kan can you refresh me on the problem you had with this routine
> and does the code update fix it ?

I added a call to the cpu detection routine in ac3dec.new, no other changes.
This was just to have this information available for future development.
After doing this ac3dec would only produce static noice. So I gather that
there was some problem with using normal FPU instructions after runnning
the routine. At first I though adding an emms instruction would fix the
problem, but it did not.

--
Håkan Hjort
d95hjort@dtek.chalmers.se