Date:      Thu, 11 Oct 2001 23:54:32 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <charon@labs.gr>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        "Nasrudin, Wali M" <wali.m.nasrudin@lmco.com>, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unix Account

Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com> wrote:
> Nasrudin, Wali M <wali.m.nasrudin@lmco.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I was wondering how I could use FreeBSD without having it as an OS
> > on my laptop. For instance I would like to telnet and work with a
> > Unix account.
>
> you can also get a free shell account here:
>
> http://www.testdrive.compaq.com/os/#bsd

Glad that someone brought up Testdrive before I did.

Without being affiliated to Compaq in any way, and fearing that I
might sound a bit off topic for -questions (this is why I moved this
thread to -chat), I feel that I have to add my two cents here.  I was
thinking of trying out OpenBSD and NetBSD about a year or so ago.
Instead of installing them and going through the tedious process of
configuring them to my preferences, I thought of trying out Compaq's
testdrive.

Very impressive, and I did find all I was looking for (mostly the
documentation that comes with the base-system).  What was very nice of
them though is that they did ask what my opinion was, if I had found
Testdrive useful, what I wanted to use it for in the first place, and
if I thought that trying it out had met my requirements.  This was
done a few months after I had stopped using my account there, in an
email message polite in tone, that did *not* include any kind of
Compaq advertisements.  No spam, no nothing.  Very nice of them :-)

I usually do not reply to messases that have even the slightest traces
of spam.  This time though I took the time to fill the standard
questions they had posted, and write a nice little summary of what,
how, when and why I had used their Testdrive program.

-giorgos