Date:      Fri, 15 Sep 2006 16:09:53 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Michael Butler <imb@protected-networks.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PQ_CACHESIZE now too small?

Quoting Michael Butler <imb@protected-networks.net> (from Fri, 15 Sep =20
2006 09:12:52 -0400):

> I note in /sys/vm/vm_page.h we have ..
>
> /* Backward compatibility for existing PQ_*CACHE config options. */
> #if !defined(PQ_CACHESIZE)
> #if defined(PQ_HUGECACHE)
> #define PQ_CACHESIZE 1024

If you post to current@, you should quote code from -current... while =20
the numbers are still the same, the corresponding code has switched to =20
auto-tuning at boot time instead from the the fixed tuning at compile =20
time you presented here.

>  .. given the ever-increasing availability of L2 cache (even my core duo
> laptop has 2MB of unified cache between two cores), are these numbers
> now too small?
>
> Alternatively, are these parameters subject to the laws of diminishing
> returns?

I was told there are other ways of doing the page coloring which don't =20
depend on such magic numbers which need to be reviewed from time to =20
time.

Bye,
Alexander.

--=20