Date:      25 Nov 1998 17:33:11 -0500
From:      Chris Shenton <cshenton@uucom.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   2.2.7 on K6/2, SCSI ncr0 hangs/aborts at boot, then recovers

[should this go to -stable or -scsi lists instead?]

I got a FIC 503+ mobo with AMD K6/2-300 CPU and an older NCR PCI scsi
controller.  It couldn't boot initially because -- and I'm not sure
I'm using the right terms -- neither NCR nor the mobo had boot code in
BIOS for the NCR. So I flashed the mobo with a BIOS to which someone
added NCR boot code.  It can now see the scsi disks and begin to boot.
(I don't have any IDE so I was losing totally before this).

But when it boots, it goes through the boot loader/selector, finds the
boot code, and scans the devices, and tries to mount / from the disk.
Then it just hangs for a minute -- but finally reports and error and
completes the boot. I'm very concerned this is going to cause me mucho
trouble in the future but it does seem to work, in a sketchy way.
Here's my transcript of the boot sequence from dmesg:

    [scans devices]

    changing root device to sd1s2a

    [hangs for about 60 seconds]

    ncr0: aborting job ...
    ncr0:2: ERROR (90:0) (8-0-0) (0/3) @ (script 5b4:50000000).
    ncr0: script cmd = 80000000
    ncr0: regdump: de 00 00 03 47 00 06 1f 35 08 80 00 90 00 0f 02.
    ncr0: restart (fatal error).
    sd1(ncr0:2:0): COMMAND FAILED (9 ff) @f051e000.
    sd1(ncr0:2:0): 10.0 MB/s (100 ns, offset 8)
    WARNING: / was not properly dismounted.
    [...]

I don't understand how it can read the boot code from the disk with no
complaints, but then has this weird hang when mounting /.

This is on 2.2.7-RELEASE. Suggestions