Date:      Wed, 11 Nov 1998 18:05:52 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Luigi's driver, AOpen AW37, and me.

Luigi Rizzo writes:
> > Ok, but wouldn't this be more consistant? Or am I missing something?
> >
> >         case 0x25d9630e:        /* CS4235 */
> >         case 0x3700630e:        /* CS4237 */
> >             tmp_d.bd_id = MD_CS4237 ;
>
> the former (which is wrong, the right one is in -stable and -current
> now) is there to remind me that they are different cards and I need to
> define a new bd_id for the CS4235

We're not quite there yet.

Got the latest -current rather than use my hand-typed patches. Built new
kernel. Rebooted. Some things are the same, others are different. Dmesg
now reports:

[...]
Probing for PnP devices:
CSN 1 Vendor ID: CSCd925 [0x25d9630e] Serial 0xffffffff Comp ID: @@@0000 [0x00000000]
mss_attach <CS4235>1 at 0x530 irq 9 dma 0:0 flags 0x14
pcm1 (CS423x/Yamaha <CS4235> sn 0xffffffff) at 0x530-0x537 irq 9 drq 0 flags 0x14 on isa
Probing for devices on the ISA bus:
[...]
pcm0 not found

In the past with manual pnp info typed into "kernel -c" the sound
device appeared on pcm0, after the ISA probe. Now Luigi's
"MAKEDEV snd1" instructions make sense (vs "MAKEDEV snd0"). This time I
didn't have to type anything into the kernel at boot. (Hurray!)

How about that? I sorta expected to see the card show up on IRQ 5. And
either DRQ 1 or 3. Am sure I can make use of IRQ 5 for something.
Currently have most of my PCI cards on IRQ 15 to make room for this
sound card.

The above yeilds the same poor audio reported earlier. Sounds like an
amplifier or D/A is being overdriven. Some sounds can be recognized. All
take the correct amount of time to play. Does that ring any bells? When
I messed something up just right and caused the driver to recognize the
card as a SoundBlaster, sound was perfect.