Date:      Tue, 18 Dec 2001 09:10:38 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        "Floris 'Tamama' van Gog" <floris@vangog.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: slow startup of programs

Floris 'Tamama' van Gog writes:
 > Hi,
 >
 > I recently installed FreeBSD on an axpci33 Alpha (166Mhz) and it has..
 > 'issues' :-)
 > Every program I run takes 4 seconds to start.. even 'clear'. This doesnt
 > sound right.. 'halt' on the other hand executes immediately.
 >
 > Does anyone have any ideas what this could be and or how i can fix it? I
 > considered the possibility of a slow video interface, but i recently got
 > ssh to work properly and it has the same problem when connected from
 > another computer.

There was a performance bug in the runtime dynamic linker/loader
(rtld).  Most people never noticed because they're not running on
obsolete computers whose main memory is slower than some modern disk
drives ;-P  Doug fixed it when he noticed KDE was slow on a more modern
machine.

Anyway, use cvsup (or anoncvs, or whatever) & get the latest RELENG_4
(stable) sources.  Build & install /usr/src/libexec/rtld-elf.  Be
careful, messing up the rtld is a good way to end up with a mostly
unusable system -- make a backup of /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1.

Drew