Date:      Thu, 12 Jul 2007 10:31:41 +0100
From:      Tom Judge <tom@tomjudge.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        Josh Paetzel <josh@tcbug.org>, Paul Schmehl <pauls@utdallas.edu>, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question about bce driver

Julian Elischer wrote:
> Tom Judge wrote:
>> Josh Paetzel wrote:

>>> Paul, I was never able to solve the link up/link down problems with
>>> the driver....I was using the drivers from STABLE for a while, and
>>> without jumbo frames everything worked somewhat ok most of the
>>> time....the ultimate solution was to just get the intel PCI-X card
>>> and stop using the broadcoms.
>>>

>> We have basically come to the same conclusion today,  unfortunately
>> this is 35 machines, but if it makes them stable at least we can use
>> them.
>
> I'm not seeing any problems on our 2950s running 6.1 plus some backpatches.

I am very surprised at that. The driver in 6.1 was un-usable in our
environment. 6.2 makes it usable with standard frames under moderate
load. However use jumbo frames and it all falls apart, and unfortunately
the network these systems are plugged into is GigE only with a 8192
Jumbo mtu.

I have been trying to get some help with the problem for over a month
now without luck.   Firstly I was asked to enable some debugging in the
driver, this just uncovered what seems to be memory management bug in
the driver.  A patch was suggest for this but it did not solve the
problem.  Next I noticed the NetBSD guys had we written the offending
parts of code which I then ported to FreeBSD driver.  Still no luck,
although the problem was not as bad as before.  Then I took a look at
the OpenBSD driver, and it seems that they just completely disabled
jumbo frames as they are just so ropey.

If a patch was released today that fixed the problem then I may be able
to fully test the driver and not have to replace the NIC's. However I am
running out of time with deployment deadlines and I need this kit in
production by the latest mid next week.

Tom